Cookies: Small data files stored on Your hard drive or in Your device memory that helps Us to improve Our Services and Your experience and to see which areas and features of Our Services are popular and count visits.
Data Controller: A person, company, or other body corporate that determines the purpose and means of handling, processing, disclosing and transferring of the PII (defined hereinbelow).
Data Field: A data field is a place where you can store data and is commonly referred to a column in a database or a field in a data entry form or web form.
Information: Information is defined as PII (defined hereinbelow) and Other Information.
Institutional Customer/s: These customers or users include learning providers, such as schools, colleges, local education authorities, private language schools, education agencies or any other institutionalized organization, who purchase access to the Services of Pearson for use of Users within the Institutional Customer.
Other Information: Any other information collected apart from PII, such as, unidentifiable information which may be collected using various technologies, such as Cookies, internet tags, and web beacons, internet protocol address, internet service provider, the browser name, the type of computer/device and technical information about users' means of connection to Our Site, such as the operating system details of the website and other similar information.
Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”): The sensitive personal data or information of a person that is capable of identifying a person, which consists of information relating to but not limited to: (i) password; (ii) financial information such as Bank account or credit card or debit card or other payment instrument details; (iii) physical, physiological and mental health condition;(iv) sexual orientation;(v) medical records and history; and/ or (vi) Biometric information.
Services: The services shall include all the services offered on the Site.
User: Individuals who use the Services provided by Pearson. User could include an institutional customer's learners, teachers and administrators, or individual subscribers who purchase access to the Services for themselves or for a child in their care.
MODE OF COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Pearson collects Information about You when you use Our Services and through other interactions and communications You have with Us during the use of Our Services.
We collect Information when You or Your parent/ guardian (including your teacher) discloses Your Information by contacting Us (online or offline) or by entering Information into Data Fields on the Site for using the Services, registering You to use the Services (including registration of the User of an Institutional Customer) and/ or for ordering Services from Us. For example, you may submit your first name, last name, phone number, date of birth, postal address, e-mail address, and/or other Information in order to, including, but not limited to, visit our Site, subscribe to email alerts, and in connection with Services, features or resources We make available on our Site.
Note: For Users registered with Institutional Customers and for Users who are under 18 years of age, We only collect school issued email addresses and not their personal addresses.
We collect transaction details related to Your use of Our Services, including the type of Service requested, date and time the Service was provided, amount charged, product supplied, and other related requests or Services details, including, the use of services from specified third parties.
Pearson collects Other Information about the Users whenever they interact with Our Site, including but not limited to, information about Your visits to the Site without You actively submitting such information. Your internet browser automatically transmits to the Site some of this Other Information, such as the URL of the Site You just visited and the browser version Your computer is operating. Certain features of Site may not work without use of Other Information collection technologies. Please note that Other Information collected by these technologies cannot be used to identity you without additional PII.
SPECIAL NOTICE TO PARENTS/ GUARDIANS
Pearson does not knowingly collect any PII from children (wherein minor is defined as anyone under 18 years in age) on its Site. Pearson does not knowingly allow children to order any products, communicate with Us, or use any of Our online Services without the permission of the parent/ guardian (including the teacher). No PII of a child should be submitted or posted on this Site by a minor without the consent of their parent or guardian. We encourage parents to help Us protect their Children's privacy by instructing them to never provide any PII on the Site. If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided Us with any Information without your permission, please contact Us as specified below.
In addition, if We have actual knowledge that a child is sending or posting PII on any area of the Site, We will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete such PII before it is used.
USE OF COLLECTED INFORMATION
Pearson may use the Information We collect about You :
- To provide, maintain, and improve Our Services, including, for example, We may use Information in the aggregate to understand how Our Services are used, to develop new products, etc.
- Perform internal operations, including, for example, to prevent operational problems, to monitor and analyses usage and activity trends, etc.
- Send or facilitate communications between you and a support staff
- Send you communications We think will be of interest to you, including Information about products, Services, promotions, news, and events of Pearson
- Personalize and improve the Services, including to provide or recommend features, content, social connections, referrals, and advertisements
- To provide customer service or support to Users; and
SHARING OF INFORMATION
- With support staff to enable them to provide the Services you request;
- With third parties with whom You choose to let Us share Information, for example other apps or websites that integrate with Our Services, or those with an API or Service with which We integrate;
- With Our Institutional Customer where You are registered as a User;
- In response to a request for Information by a competent authority if We believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation, or legal process;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of Our business by or into another company;
- If We otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing; and
- In an aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
- Please be careful if you post any Information on a bulletin board or discussion forum or similar interactive area of the Service as it may be collected and used by others. You understand We cannot control the actions of other users.
- You accept and agree that We may transfer Your Information to any other body corporate or a person in India or located in any other country, that ensures the same level of data protection that is adhered to in India.
Pearson uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of Your Information. However, We cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will never be able to defeat Our security measures or use Your Information for improper purposes.
We want to reduce loss, theft, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, destruction, harassment, and abuse related to Our Site, but We cannot guarantee complete perfection. When there is clear evidence of any of the above, We will do Our best to respond promptly. You acknowledge that you provide Your personal Information at Your own risk.
To protect Your privacy, You should not provide any Information that is not specifically requested or that You do not wish to share.
YOUR CONTROL ON YOUR INFORMATION
You may always limit the amount and type of Information that Pearson receives about You by choosing not to disclose or enter any Information into forms or Data Fields on the Sites. Some of Our Services can only be provided to You if You provide Us with appropriate Information. Other parts of the Site may ask whether you wish to opt out or opt into Our contact lists for offers, promotions and additional services that may be of interest to You.
Pearson will comply with Users requests regarding access, correction, and/or deletion of the Information it stores in accordance with applicable law. Please notify Us of Your wishes by contacting Us as specified below. Please note that in case such Information is necessary for the provision of Services, We may exercise Our option of not providing the Services for which the Information was sought for. Please further note that in some cases We may retain certain Information about You as required by law, or for legitimate business purposes to the extent permitted by law.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Us by following the instructions in those messages. If you opt out, We may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about Your account, about Services you have requested, or Our ongoing business relations.
Pearson or any person on its behalf holding Information of the Users shall not retain that Information for longer than it is required for the purposes for which the Information may lawfully be used or is otherwise required under any other law for the time being in force.
Pearson shall not be responsible for the authenticity of the Information supplied by the User to Pearson or any person acting on its behalf.
Name: Shalinee Kulshreshtha, General Counsel (South Asia)
Office: +91 120 4379226
Address: Pearson India Education Services Pvt. Ltd., 15th Floor,Tower-B,
World Trade Tower Plot - C01, Sector-16,
Noida - 201 301
Uttar Pradesh, India